Plantar Fasciitis is a very common medical condition and there are various effective methods of treatment to cure plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is caused by the swelling of a tissue called plantar fascia which connects the heel to the middle of the foot and acts as the arch of the foot. This article explains the various causes for plantar fasciitis and the treatment methods to cure this medical condition.
Plantar fasciitis is common among people between ages of 40-60 years. The main symptom of plantar fasciitis is intense pain felt at the bottom of the heel. This pain is usually felt in the morning when you get up from bed. You can also feel the pain when you constantly do activities like walking, running etc. Plantar fasciitis can also be caused due to the following reasons: overweight, over straining, use of inappropriate footwear and walking/running on uneven surfaces.
The various methods of treatment that can be used to cure plantar fasciitis are:
- Rest – Taking complete rest and avoiding activities like walking, running etc. can help in reducing the swelling of the plantar fascia tissue and lead to quick recovery.
- Icing – Icing the affected are around the heel can help in reducing pain
- Exercises – Doing certain stretching exercises may provide relief to the pain and also help in faster recovery.
- Medicines – Taking certain anti-inflammatory and pain killer drugs can help in reducing the inflammation of the tissue.
- Appropriate footwear – Wearing appropriate footwear with extra cushion in the heel can help in avoiding further damage to the plantar fascia tissue.
- Night Splints – Use of night splints will help in faster recovery as they help to keep your heel stretched when you sleep.
- Steroids and Shock therapy – If all the above methods of treatment are not effective, then you should meet a doctor who may use steroid injections and shock wave therapy to cure plantar fasciitis.